Sunday, July 24, 2011

Getting warmed up.

I got home tonight with an hour to myself. I vacillated between reading a great Sherlock Holmes novel, playing the video game that's been calling my name, and going to the Y before everyone got home.
I opted to grab my jumprope, 45lbs of Dumbbells and headed to the backyard!
I'd been reading a e-book by Zach Even-Esh, that he sent for joining his mailing list. It is called "Freak Strength" and it coincides with my Cross-fit/Intense workout fanaticism. He talked about farm boys and old school strongmen and how they worked out compared to contemporary gyms with "fancy machines that isolate muscles, but don't do a thing for real workable strength." He talked about lifting rocks and logs, and people climbing his climbing rope and telling him it was too short. I felt inspired and cranked on some weight to the dumbbells.
I've discovered this exercise that involves lifting and pushing the dumbbell over your head, keeping it there and basically going for a walk. It's called a waiters carry or an overhead carry if done with two. Oh man, I was by myself, but I yelled and pushed like I was training with a coach.
In fact, when I finished that, what was supposed to be the grand finale to my routine today, I decided to try a few "dumbbell snatches" to work the same muscles. Keeping up with my dumbbells, I threw in 50 "Goblet squats" and 50 Pushups of varying heights. I didn't accomplish anything stellar, but my core and arms are upset and my legs are rather jelly. I feel warmed up for something big Tuesday morning!

Get inspired, do something big, but don't forget to warm up!

No comments: