Sunday, February 13, 2011

The lie of the Epic Moment.

Mother Theresa said "We can do no Great Things, only small things with Great love." We can't inspire youth with a few epic moments and then sit quietly and behave the rest of the time.
I've observed that an Epic moment can so capture someone's attention, that their life may be opened for an instant to the changes only the Spirit can orchestrate. I've strived to create the right environment for these to happen with people I discipled and lived with. Pivotal Moments I call them. Yet, I wonder how effectual and lasting they really are. Can a pot quickly heated stay warm long? Does a shallow wind push a sail far? No, but a constant heat and a constant wind provide long term results.
 The effectiveness of any activity is diminished when it is not regular, not constant. Lifting weights, doing calculations, loving your spouse, all find me clumsy if I don't make a lifestyle of them. You may say, "I often do good deeds, and bring others with me!" But I ask, how do you speak to your family, or to those serving you in public? Do you; by sheer example; teach those in your influence that Christ is alive and passionate for his Bride? A God who heals on the Sabbath, and forgives Adulterers and crosses a sea for one deranged man in a graveyard?
I am still fond of Pivotal Moments; I find them to be orchestrated by Holy Spirit at just the right time in others lives. Yet, the lasting power of my words and actions in those moments is backed by the life I live.
Consider Paul's letter to the Ephesians:

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
 18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people. 19 Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.

He speaks not of hastily putting on armor in the heat of battle, but of Living a life of Truth, Righteousness, Readiness, Faith, full acceptance Salvation and of knowing the Word. We cannot pray only when we are in crisis, but must cry out to God with "all kinds of prayers and requests." We must live our lives watching for opportunities to introduce our youth to the Creator. If I only live "epically" when those I influence are near, then I am not really living epically, I'm playing a character. I'm not possessing the Character that changes lives.

No comments: