Sunday, August 30, 2009

Wisdom

I need influence. I crave the advice and wisdom of someone who can see where I am and help point me in the right direction. It's why I like my father in law, and grandpa's. They have weathered storms I may never see, sucked up their courage in the face of dangers I cannot understand, and here they stand with a scar and a smile. I can see it in their wrinkles, and hear it in their voice as they shake their heads slowly at those of us less patient. They know many things I don't, and I want to learn from them. Books are great, but I'm not a self-made man nor do I desire to be. It is a fate worse than death you might say, to live alone with only your proud self to look back to as a champion and victor. I want to be able to point to those who have helped me along the way. To say I owe it all to God and my wife becomes trite. I was meant to be raised up by many hands and voices, not a book and a patient spouse. She needs the benefit of their wisdom in my life just as much as I do. I cannot count on her strength but must rely on God's alone. And how can I know his strength exists when life is tumbling and I'm confused? To look in the eyes of Job, is to know God is bigger, even when I don't understand.

No comments: